Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Re: Summer Reflection

It's the summer.  For many in Student Affairs, this means time to work on projects, recharge, and get ready for the school year.  For those of us in Orientation, it means the time to watch our programs come together, our Orientation Leaders shine in their positions, and the new students either get excited about being on campus, or ask to go home early.

Here, so far this summer, we have had our first Orientation for 127 students and 80 guests, we've taken our new Student Association leaders on a retreat and to the Utah Leadership Academy.  Now, I am focusing on the details of Orientations, Welcome Week in the fall, and I need to start working on my syllabus for our First Year Leaders (Emotionally Intelligent Leadership) class in the fall.  So many projects, so little time.

However, I would also like to take the time this summer to reflect on my first full year as a professional.  What have been some of my successes?  Failures (learning moments)?  What have I learned about myself as a person?  as a professional?  as an employee?  as a coworker? as a boss?  as an advisor?  Have those of you who are in the same position as me, new professionals, taken the time to reflect on your journey so far?

I will continue to update these reflections over the summer, but here is some to start:

Reflections on me as a PROFESSIONAL:
When I was first job-hunting last year, I cast my net wide.  I applied for a variety of positions in many areas of student affairs, at many levels of responsibility.  During this first year, I have learned that it is important to be passionate about the area that you work in.  I love my work in Orientation and Welcome Week.  This area gives me the opportunity to be proactive in my work.  I can anticipate the problems students might have transitioning, and address them before they even realize them.  I am able to set many learning outcomes and program goals that help to guide my work.  I also get the opportunity each Orientation day to react to situations as they occur, which allows me to keep thinking on my feet.

In some of the other facets of my job (advising the student association), I don't have the luxury to plan and think through everything as much in advance.  This has been difficult for me, as I've realized more and more how much I enjoy planning and evaluating.  With the student association I get to guide students, work below the Director of my department, and serve as a resource.  There is not as much of a focus on outcomes and assessment.  However, one of my goals this year is to increase the amount of future planning, and incorporating more outcomes into my advising.

What have you learned about yourself as a professional this year?


No comments:

Post a Comment